My client project has crossed back into the eighteenth century – and I’m spending time delving into church records.
Here are five hints to make your search a little easier:
- Most records are in Latin.
- Most parishes have underlined the last name of the person described in the record. In some cases, both the last name and child’s first name will be underlined.
- The use record will generally begin with “die” to indicate date.
- 8bre means October; 9bre means November.
- If you’re looking for baptismal records, look for the word “filia” (to indicate girl) or “filius” (boy).